Monday, November 26, 2007

The Reason for the Season

When we were out shopping the other day, I decided to pick up a box or two of Christmas cards. Having them available in your home, after all, is a crucial step that must take place before the actual addressing of the Christmas cards and mailing them out. And frankly, I felt quite pleased with myself for even thinking of picking some up before Thanksgiving.

The store I went to had some really cute cards. But as I searched the shelves for that one particular style of cards that I felt good about putting our family's name on and sending to people all over the country, I made a startling discovery.

There were no cards that had anything to do with the birth of Christ.

There were cards with snowmen. There were cards with brightly colored ornaments. There were cards with Christmas trees. There were cards with presents tied with pretty bows. But there were no nativity scenes, wise men on camels, or anything else having to do with Christ.

I mentioned this to my husband, and he chided me for my concern. "What does Christ have to do with Christmas?" he said with mock seriousness.

Feeling a bit ornery, I decided that I would buy my cards somewhere else. I did find a couple of religious scenes at the next store I checked, but they weren't in styles I felt comfortable with. I finally bought a box of cards at the third store I checked. There's a picture of Joseph and Mary headed to Bethlehem on the front.

Sending out Christmas cards can be a wonderful opportunity to testify to others of the Savior and of His importance in our lives. As we turn our hearts to Him we experience the real meaning of Christmas.

Now the next step for me, of course, is to get those cards addressed and sent out. I know perfectly well that they won't do anyone any good if they're just sitting in the box. But I'm very good at putting things off like this. Any bets on how long it'll be before I tackle that project? New Years, maybe? Valentines? Easter?

Happy holidays, everyone!

11 Comments:

HOWARD'S said...

If all else fails you'll have them for next year! ;)

Marsha Ward said...

And a Merry Christmas to you, too!

Cards addressed and mailed yet?

Katie Parker said...

Ha! No, they are still on my desk sitting beautifully in their nice little cellophane-wrapped package waiting for...next Christmas, maybe. ;-)

Rebecca Talley said...

We do a family Christmas letter and a photo collage of our year. It takes time, but it's also a good way to memorialize the year. I try to find photos that best represent each of my kids to put in the collage. I'm close to being done--just have to print it all and, of course address and stamp and . . .okay so I'm not that close after all.

Hope you get yours done soon.

Katie Parker said...

That's a great idea, Rebecca. At this rate, you'll probably get yours out before I do.

For my excuse on why I didn't get my cards sent out this week, visit:
http://theinkladies.blogspot.com/2007/12/stranded.html

Unknown said...

I bought my cards too. It's the getting them addressed and mailed out that I have a problem with.

Anonymous said...

Oh--same boat here! I WISH it was easier to find the Nativity type of cards. I don't care if I offend someone! This is what ***I*** believe in. So there.

I am two years behind already on mine and hoping it won't be a third.

Katie Parker said...

Well, my official update is that they've gone down further and further on my to do list. *Sigh*. Wouldn't it be nice if real life would just, I don't know, *stop* for a little while so you could get all your Christmas things done?

Good luck, Linda!

Unknown said...

Just dropped by again to tell you Merry Christmas from the Salimas. Hope this seasons is filled with joy and peace.

Shellie said...

I love Christmas in January! Merry Christmas!

Katie Parker said...

Thanks, Candace! Merry Christmas to you, too!

Shellie, I'm glad you like Christmas in January. That's what I'm looking at right now. *ppppppbbbbbb* (how do you spell a raspberry?)

Merry Christmas, everyone!!

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online